This weekends New York Times article, Breeding the Nutrition Out of Our Food, discussed the need to choose the correct fruits and vegetables to ensure we are getting high levels of phytonutrients from our produce. I found the article prescriptive, some stated and some is my interpretation.
- Choose arugula as your go to lettuce.
- Forage for food or look for wild foods at farmers markets such as morels, ramps, chickweed, purslane, wild dandelion… whenever possible.
- Choose an heirloom in season apple in order to get the most nutritional benefits.
- Choose yellow corn over white corn.
- Choose purple potatoes over white potatoes and blue, red or purple cornmeal whenever possible.
- Use spring onions and include the green part, this is very easy this time of year when they are abundant at farmers markets.
- Use large quantities of fresh herbs….
I am anxious to read the author, Jo Robinson’s book, Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health.